Sunday, January 25, 2009

Back to Junior High

I've been observing the English classes at a junior high school in Ogden for the past few weeks, and it's been very interesting. I've had a lot of fun getting to know the kids a little while being able to teach a few language arts lessons here and there. I've mostly been involved with the 7th grade classes. It's funny, the 7th grade boys still appear to be very much in the "little boy" stage, super hyper but very sweet and innocent. But the 7th grade girls are very much past the "little girl" stage and well into the "I'm so grown-up and much smarter than you" phase of life, kinda scary. My mentor teacher wants me to take the reins on the poetry unit coming up for this week, should be fun. Do you think I should introduce these kids to some T.S. Eliot? Hmmm, maybe not. Here's a little gift one of the 7th grade boys was kind enough to give me last week. Sweet.

8 comments:

Luke and Mel said...

Wow, junior high yin and yang these days must be rough.

Poopers AKA 2Ply said...

That's actually pretty cool. Although I was expecting the light side to be a bit happier, but on the other hand, who am I to say that white snake/vine/dragon isn't just a wonderful listener? What a kind soul to give it to you.

Maria said...

Looks like someone might have a little crush?? That was very sweet. I liked the P.S. note.

Mark said...

We shall not cease exploration, and at the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. T.S. Eliot Teach Eliot they'll figure it out and probably like it.

I like the M.I.A song, Maria told me about her a year ago.

Oh yeah,that drawing is CRAZY but kind of cool, kids got a crush.

Aleesha said...

I agree. Someone's got a crush on you!!!! My brother has to be so careful with all the little Jr. High girls that get crushes on him. Good luck with the poetry unit. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Lisa said...

I like the song. I need you to make me a CD.

So, are you at ease a little more about teaching? I always thought Kinz was crazy for teaching junior high, but there truly are the right people for the job. By the drawring by Ray I think you are doing swell!

Annie said...

I think T.S. Elliot is great for that age group. It sounds like they like you a lot. Love the music...

Annie said...

John says: What is up with that picture? You say "sweet" and I say what the h&((. Watch it, the kids probably a cutter.