Monday, January 21, 2008

Poetry Time


My brother Jason got me the perfect gift for Christmas this past year, a giant book of poetry. The book is literally called The Giant Book of Poetry, kinda funny. Anyway, this gigantic book is a compilation of many great works of poetry by some of the world's best known poets. It starts out with poetry written as early as 4,000 BC and ends with poems written in the late 20th century. I love it and have been using it to get my weekly dose of quality poetry. The book is edited by William H. Roetzheim if you're interested. Here's a poem by William Blake that I just read today and really like...

To See a World in a Grain of Sand

To see a world in a grain of sand
and a heaven in a wild flower,
hold infinity in the palm of your hand
and eternity in an hour.


Dave Chappelle is also a good source of quality poetry. Here's Dave reciting one of his own original poems for an episode of Def Poetry Jam. Hilarious.


No comments: