Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Warning

I was hanging out with Ruth earlier today. We were having a real pleasant time while watching the Food Network. But then this dude's show came on.


He hosts a show called Guy's Big Bite. Ugh. Today's show featured Guy making a total travesty out of one of my favorite foods. The tamale. I don't want to relive the whole thing, so let me just say that his recipe involved frying a few chunks of beef to a crisp before adding in store-bought enchilada sauce. Gross. Ruth nearly had a heart attack, as she, like myself, takes the tamale very seriously. So if you're also a lover of tamales and ever feel like making some on your own, please don't go to the Food Network for a recipe. And definitely don't go to Guy's Big Bite as a resource. What you should do is find a nice old Mexican grandma lady to teach you the ways of the tamale. If you don't know any nice old Mexican grandma ladies, at least wait for me to post a quality tamale recipe. I'll be sure to post one up soon...with some awesome video commentary if you're lucky.

After trying to comfort my dear mom after this whole ordeal, I finally remembered that Cafe Rio always serves tamales on Thursdays. I asked Ruth if she'd feel better if I took her to Cafe Rio tomorrow to get a tamale. "Yes," she said, "Yes, that would make me feel better." Poor Ruth, it's the least I can do. So come join Ruth and I at Cafe Rio tomorrow if you feel like a good tamale. Cafe Rio has the best tamales around here, hands down.

4 comments:

Em Russ said...

oh Cafe Rio... it's right there at the top of my list of things I miss from home. Hilarious post though, Mon! Wish I could join you and Ruth for the tamales!

Maria said...

Girl- are you going for reals? I want to come if you are.

katieo said...

uh, you're not going to be at the Provs Rio are you?

Monica said...

No, I didn't make it down to the Provs Rio today. Although, as you know Katie, that particular Rio holds a very special place in my heart. Today Maria was good enough to bring the Rio to Ruth and I, take-out style. It was delicious. Thanks Maria!