Sunday, September 21, 2008

On Repeat




Get It Again
by: Mark Halliday (b. 1949)

In 1978 I write something about how
happiness and sorrow are intertwined
and I feel good, insightful, and it seems
this reflects some healthy growth of spirit,
some deep maturation--then
I leaf through an eleven-year-old notebook
and spot some paragraphs I wrote in 1967
on Keats's "Ode on Melancholy" which
seem to say some of it better, or
almost better, or as well though differently--
and the waves roll out, and the waves roll in

In 1972 I often ate rye toast with peanut butter,
the toast on a blue saucer beside my typewriter,
I took huge bites
between paragraphs about love and change;
today it's a green saucer, cream cheese, French bread,
but the motions are the same and in a month or so
when the air is colder I'll be back to my autumn snack,
rye toast with peanut butter, an all-star since '72...
I turned around on sidewalks
to stare at some woman's asses
plenty of times in the sixties and
what do you think will be different in the eighties?
In 1970, mourning an ended love, I listened
to a sailor's song with a timeless refrain,
and felt better--that taste of transcendence
in the night air
and
and here it is in 1978, the night air, hello.

My journalist friend explains the challenge
of his new TV job: you work for a week
to get together one 5-minute feature,
and then
it's gone--
vanished into gray-and-white memory,
a fading choreography of electric dots--
and you're starting it all over,
every week that awesome energy demand:
to start over

In 1973 I played hundreds of games of catch
with a five-year-old boy named Brian.
Brian had trouble counting so we practiced
by counting the times we tossed the ball
without missing. When Brian missed
he was on the verge of despair for a moment
but I taught him to say
"Back to zero!" to give him a sense of
always another chance. I tried to make it sound
exciting to go back to zero, and eventually
our tone was exultant when we shouted in unison
after a bad toss or fumble
back to zero.

In 1977 I wrote a poem called "Repetition Rider"
and last winter I revised it three times
and I thought it was finished.

"It's not like writing," says my journalist friend,
"where your work is permanent--
no matter how obscure,
written work is durable...That's why
it can grow--you can move beyond
what you've already said."

Somewhere I read or heard something good
about what Shakespeare meant in Lear
when he wrote: "Ripeness is all."
I hope it comes back to me.

I see myself riding
the San Francisco subway in 1974
scrawling something in my little red notebook
about "getting nowhere fast."
I see Brian's big brown eyes lit
with the adventure of starting over
and oblivious, for a moment,
of the extent to which he is
doomed by his disabilities.
And the waves
roll out, and the waves roll in.
This poem

could go on a long time,
but you've already understood it;
you got the point some time ago,

and you'll get it again

4 comments:

Maria said...

Love this. Was this in the giant book of poetry Melinda and Jason ave you?

Monica said...

Oh yes, Girl. This was indeed found in my beloved Giant Book of Poetry. That book has the greatest index ever to be found in a book. It has an index by author, index by title, index by subject, index by first lines...I love when a book has an index that is actual helpful. I bring up the index 'cause that is how I found this awesome poem the other day.

katieo said...

So awesome. I choked up at this, "I tried to make it sound
exciting to go back to zero..."
I don't really know why. I just loved it. Sometimes the concept of "going back to zero" is so beautiful, redemptive. Other times, it's SO discouraging and overwhelming.

Poopers AKA 2Ply said...

This is a cool poem. I should read poetry more often!