Monday, September 22, 2008

Talking to Tesla

My uncle Alex wrote a book. It is to be released soon, so that is very exciting. My uncle is a painter. His book revolves around his experiences as an artist and the relationship of an artist to the world around him. The book seems to be a lot about finding art in everyday things and its theme reminds me of James Joyce's A Potrait of the Artist as a Young Man. I hope Uncle Alex doesn't mind me making that comparison. Anyway, the book is called Talking to Tesla. The title comes from experiences my uncle has had involving Nikola Tesla visiting him in his dreams. Yeah, pretty interesting stuff. Like I said, the book hasn't been released yet (I believe it's coming out in November), but you may read the first few chapters by going here. I've really liked what I've read so far. I think I've enjoyed reading it, because, even if you don't consider yourself an artist, you can relate to the theme of being able to discover art in ordinary, everyday things. A wise old man once told me to learn to see the Lord's hand in the common things of each day--the beauties of nature, the creations of art and even the goodness of people. I've always tried to take that advice to heart as it helps to make ordinary things a lot more beautiful. So check out the book!


4 comments:

Luke and Mel said...

Uncle Alex's painting are really great. His interview was also interesting to read.

Maria said...

Thanks for the links girl- I'll have to read up.

Kristie said...

I am very intrigued actually. I will have to check this out. I need a little inspiration in my life lately, you know, a fresh perspective on things. This sounds perfect. By the way, LOVE your blog. You are such a funny, interesting person. So happy we are hooked up again. Let's do lunch or something soon. I'll call the girlies.

Average Joe said...

I didn't know you had a blog just about recipes!

Cool!