Sunday, December 7, 2008

I Heart Ruth.



Over time, the world has collected a number of different symbols that would best represent the spirit of Christmas. There’s mistletoe and holly, thought of as a plant of peace, harmony, and love. You can find a gargantuan arrangement of poinsettias, symbolic of the Star of Bethlehem, in my parent’s living room. We have the candy cane, which resembles a shepherd’s staff when looked at with the crook on top. Then there’s the familiar symbol of Santa Claus and, of course, the Christmas tree is there to help us get into the spirit of the season. But a few days ago, I came across a very unfamiliar symbol of Christmas. I have no idea what this symbol represents nor do I have any clue from whence it came. In fact, this mysterious symbol has left me feeling a little unsettled ever since I laid eyes on it. I discovered this piece of work while passing through Ruth and Phil’s living room the other day. It can be found resting just below the aforementioned gargantuan arrangement of poinsettias. Can someone please help me out? What is the meaning of this? Is this some kind of joke? Is this Christmas?



5 comments:

Luke and Mel said...

Ah yes, the age old classic white long-eared Christmas dwarf bunny.

It was a Christmas tradition of my very own at age 11. I bought a "real" bunny December 11th to help me cope with my insidious sinus infections and surgery. Her name was tinsel.

katieo said...

GIRL.
I swear we had the SAME lacey, ribbon-eared bunny when I was growing up.

Aaron made me swear when we got married that I'd never involved bunnies in any of my decorating.

Melanie said...

I personally like the Christmas bunny because it reminds me of mom. It just fits in so well with the rest of the holiday decor in that house, right?

Poopers AKA 2Ply said...

Laura's mom always has lots of decorative bunnies like this around too. I think the meaning for her was simply that bunnies are cute. I can't help you out with any deeper meaning. I feel neutral on the decorative bunny issue. :)

The Arnell's said...

That is so funny!! To each his own right? :)
Love ya