Sunday, August 1, 2010

"We must set our course by the stars."

From time to time I struggle with bouts of insomnia. Last week was one of those times. Luckily, my struggles with sleeplessness are always short-lived and don't come around very often. I love a good night's rest. Normally I crawl into bed and fall asleep right away, it's great. But around this time last week I was more than a little bit nervous about having to defend my paper. For those of you who didn't get a delirious phone call from me on Tuesday, my defense went well and I finally have my degree! I'm so happy I finally finished. It took me about 2 1/2 years, but it feels like about 10 years to me...I know I've said that before, but it's true. So last Wednesday night, I was still having trouble sleeping in spite of the fact that my defense was done and my final paper had been sent to the printer...must've been aftershocks of all my nerves from the nights before or something. Usually I end up reading a little of J.D. Salinger or David Sedaris when I can't sleep, but last Wednesday I found myself messing around with Photo Booth and rummaging through old photos on my computer. Whilst rummaging and after taking a few choice self-portraits at 2AM, I found an old Photo Booth gem from the summer of 2007 and feel the need to share for "compare and contrast" purposes. Take a look. Do I look different now that I'm done with school and all? Wiser, maybe? More sophisticated? Okay, maybe not. How 'bout older?






Don't worry, my latest bout of insomnia is officially over and done with. Last night I was able to fall asleep like magic, so I'm expecting the same to happen tonight. I've been enjoying not having to worry about my paper and have been trying to take advantage of this time I have without school or a job by doing as much reading and swimming as is humanly possible. Plus I get to go down to Arizona for some more R&R next week! Life is good.

I'll leave you with a quote I read recently. I really like this one.

"We must stop setting our sights by the light of each passing ship; instead we must set our course by the stars." --George Marshall

4 comments:

Aleesha said...

Girl, you make me laugh. Your posts are always so entertaining!

Melanie said...

Woo-hoo!! No more school or having to take classes with cranky with teachers who hate children!!

Ben + Brittany Trujillo said...

Yes you do look wiser, c'mon the flannel is a dead give away!

Poopers AKA 2Ply said...

Love your pictures, hilarious. I'm glad your most recent bout with insomnia is past. Congrats on having your degree!