Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Zebra Print Slip Ons and Ceiling Fans

One of my all-time favorite sounds is the swoosh, swoosh, swoosh of a ceiling fan as it spins around and around. This past Sunday afternoon I found myself down in Mesa, Arizona sprawled out on my Grandma Fern's gigantic guest bed staring up at her ceiling fan. I had gone to church with my grandma earlier and was still in the blue blouse, black home-made skirt, and zebra print slip-on flats I wore to the meetings that morning. I was tired and was wanting to fall asleep. But I couldn't fall asleep. All I could do was lie there and stare up at the ceiling fan as it slowly spinned and swoosh swooshed. I guess you could say that I was having one of those "Who am I and What am I doing?" kind of moments, right there on my Grandma's gigantic guest bed. I'm not kidding, that bed is bigger than 10 big things. So one would think that as I was going through this contemplative "moment" I would've come up with a few answers to these aforementioned questions. But no. All I could come up with was the thought of how lame my zebra print slip-on flats were. I kept on thinking, "Gosh, why do I own these?" or "Why am I wearing these things?" and "I can't believe I sported these at church with my grandma." Sometimes I'm not as deep thinking as I need to be. So I continued on like this for a while. I'm not sure exactly how long I allowed myself to indulge in this sprawled out, contemplative state before Grandma Fern decided to take over. Of course she busted into the guest bedroom without knocking, took one look at me on the bed and said, "Well get up, Dear. We're not going to sleep the day away. C'mon, let's have some fun." I knew I didn't have a choice in the matter. All I wanted to do was stay on the bed and listen to the swoosh, swoosh, swoosh, but when Grandma Fern tells you to get up, you get up without any questions or complaints. So I slid off the bed and followed Fern into the dining room. On the table, I found a plate piled high with fresh watermelon. I love watermelon. There was also a blank Yahtzee card waiting for me. I don't love Yahtzee, but I knew I was in for at least a couple of games. So I sat down and quickly started in on the watermelon while I listened to my grandma, for like the millionth time, go over the rules of the game before we began rolling. Like I said, I don't love Yahtzee, but I love my grandma. So I was really, really grateful to be down in Mesa, eating watermelon and playing that silly game with her last Sunday. After about an hour or so of play (I always lose to her and this time was no different), Grandma and I climbed into her silver Buick on our way to Aunt Jeannie's house. As Grandma started the car, she looked over at my feet, pointed, and said, "Well those are really cute shoes you have on there." I don't know how she does it, but Grandma Fern always knows how to make me feel better about everything when I'm around her. And I'm not just talking about a pair of dumb shoes. Although, I've been more than happy with the idea of wearing my zebra prints again ever since my recent visit with Grandma.


Couldn't resist posting this picture of Grandma Fern and Grandpa Chick. This was taken in Arizona during the the summer they first fell in love. Isn't my grandma beautiful? I adore this photo.

2 comments:

Maria said...

Loved this post and love Grandma Fern.

Poopers AKA 2Ply said...

I like how descriptive this post was, I have definitely felt that way before. I'm glad your grandma was there to pull you out of it. Zebra print flats sound pretty cool to me. :)