Sunday, March 30, 2008

Spiral Jetty Excursion 2008


I took a humanities course a long time ago when I was going to college down in the Proves. While in the class, I learned about the Spiral Jetty for the first time. I've been intrigued by this thing ever since I first learned about it. So the true story goes that this artist guy named Robert Smithson decided to create a humungous piece of art out in the Great Salt Lake back in 1970. I've heard that people in the '70s were always doing weird stuff like that. Smithson's humungous art piece is known as the Spiral Jetty, and it's not only weird but it's pretty darn awesome too. So like I said, I've been intrigued by this art since college and went out to see the piece for the first time last May with my little sister, Melanie. Melanie and I had quite the adventure the first time we went out to the Spiral. The trip was a lot more treacherous than we had imagined, and I nearly got us stranded out in the middle of nowhere when my car nearly ran out of gas. You see, I seem to have a slight problem with estimations. In other words, if I tell you something is about a mile away, it's probably really 2 miles away. If I say it should take you about 2 hours to get someplace, it will probably end up actually taking 3 or 4 hours. If I think that I can get to someplace on a quarter full tank of gas...Okay, you probably get the picture. So last year, Melanie and I discovered that a trip out to see the Spiral is a bit more like a trek than just a simple joy ride, but it's worth it. I think the Jetty is really beautiful. Smithson made it out of the black basalt boulders found all over the beach. The basalt boulders are from local volcanic eruptions that occurred millions of years ago, cool. And both times I've been out there, the lake has been this really cool purpleish color due to a buildup of minerals or something like that. The whole setting around the Jetty is really pretty and very peaceful. I took a bunch of shots on our way out to the Spiral, but once we finally got to it, my camera's battery decided to die...I guess I overestimated how much power the blasted thing had stored up. Luckily I was able to get a couple shots of the Spiral, but I'll have to try and get some better shots next year. I think the best time to go is during March and April when the water isn’t covering the Spiral. Melanie and I went last May, towards the end of the month, and the water was pretty much covering up the Jetty. The Jetty wasn’t covered up when Melanie, Maria, and I went this past weekend, so we were able to hike down to it and walk on it. It was so much fun to go out to the lake this weekend, and I'm really glad Maria came with us this year. Maria was a real trooper during the trek and only got a little mad at me for thinking we would only have to hike like a half mile...We had to hike a bit more than that, oops. If you're interested in making the trip out to see this thing, here are some really simplified directions...Don't worry, I didn't come up with those mile estimations, so you can trust 'em. I'm definitely planning on going again next Spring.


How to get there: Drive to the Golden Spike National Historic Site, 30 miles west of Brigham City by following signs on Utah State Route 83 through Corinne.

Once at GSNHS, just follow the signs on the gravel road to the Jetty, which is about 16 miles from the Golden Spike monument.


Taken in the car, on the gravel road leading to the beach and the Spiral.





Melanie and Maria



Closeup of Melanie and her gorgeous locks blowing in the wind



This is a linear jetty found a half mile before you get to the Spiral. I heard that this one was created for some sort of oil rigging project a long time ago.



Almost there...



This is the best shot of the Spiral that I could get before my camera died.



Melanie on the tail of the Spiral. Check out the black boulders Smithson used to construct this thing. These black rocks can be found all over the beach and up on the hills surrounding.

4 comments:

Laura Lee said...

Save the Spiral Jetty!

Did you know it's in danger of being destroyed by drilling? That's been our big issue at the arts council for the past month and a half. Write a letter to your representative.

Cool pictures! I still haven't been out there. I want to go real bad. I try to look for it every time I fly out of Salt Lake.

Ben + Brittany Trujillo said...

I love reading your Blog Monica, I really think you have a great talent with writing. P.S. I added a title to my last post, thanks for the blogging "hint" it will never happen again.

Melanie said...

Hi Monica. This is the voice of Luke (your newest brother-in-law) via Melanie's blogger login; this is because blogspot.com said that I wasn't invited into your blog. (are you keeping me out?) Anyway, like Benny T., I enjoy reading your blogs weekly. In fact, I was highly anticipating this particular post of the Shizzle-Jetty. After you set out on your journey at 3:00 PM I got a little nervous about the return of my wife by 7:30 PM, and was moments away from hopping into the little Honda and cruising out to the jetty to pull you guys out of a sink hole or something. Luckily there was no need for a heroes entry.

PS - The red-purple color of the water is in fact caused by the archeae microbe halobacteria of the order Euryarcheota. It's a curious little animalcule that loves salt and captures light energy through a purplish-red pigment that closely resembles the retinal in our eyes. (Gee Wiz!)

Monica said...

Ben, I'm really happy that you added a title to your last post...All is right with the world again. :)

Luke! I'm totally not trying to keep you out of my blog. In fact, I'm honored that you like reading it...I'll get your info this weekend so I can send you an exclusive invite. And thanks for the brief science lesson on the curious animalcules. I'm glad my little sister married such a smart guy.